So the funeral yesterday was fairly bizarre. Everyone was so cordial to each other that I felt like another family was attending instead of mine. It was very strange indeed.
In other news it’s raining today and the rain is provoking some interesting thoughts. There’s a lot of gravitic energy that the rain uses up flowing down and I’m wondering why we can’t use that.
Here’s a thought for skyscraper based micro-hydro:
1) Run a pipe down the side of the building that funnels _all_ the roof rain water. (Note: this system can be divided into four smaller systems to improve performance - four pipes instead of one.)
2) Put a Tesla turbine (yes they do exist and do work - look it up) at the bottom that all the water runs through.
3) Attach the turbine to a generator.
4) Wire the generator back to a wind compatible charge controller. (Wind compatible because those are designed for intermittent usage.)
5) Use the charge controller to charge a bank of batteries for the building. Hell you could in theory use a commercial battery based UPS system that allows alternative charging sources.
Like I told some other friends today it won’t get you off the grid but it will certainly reduce your dependence.
You could even take the design one step further and make a water-tower shaped generator system that has the top cut off for rain collection.
Not a bad idea...