This month from beginning to end has just been strange.
First - mundane things. Still no job. No jobs to be had really for a 40 year old I/T guy with no certifications but 20 years of experience in the field. *grump* But I _have_ been getting e-mailed links from headhunters. That’s a good sign and I’ll likely follow those up here this week.
To keep us from dying here I just have to have something that clears $1k/month really but I’d like to find something that pays more. Especially since there’s a ton of things to do around the house and that’s going to take cash.
Still trying to find things that I can do or make to make money online. I’ll probably come up with something in that arena this week hopefully.
Which brings us to cleaning the house...
We managed to get the library and living room clean in the house. There are a few more boxes in the third bedroom but they’re all labeled properly and we can go through them as time permits.
The workshop out in the garage is another thing entirely. I managed to get the space heater out there fixed and with a new fan motor it’s much more efficient and keeps that space at a proper 65 degrees no matter what the temp outside is. The next batch of money I’m going to be buying the 3/4“ styrofoam insulation sheets to close off the upper attic area of the garage to keep the heat from leaking out the uninsulated rafters. (I’m not insulating those until summer hits and I can get around up there without worrying about moisture issues.)
The bigger problem is that out there is my writing space. It’s the space for me to be separated from the rest of the world.
And right now it’s so disorganized thanks to the weather and the stuff in there that I can’t sit and write in there without being distracted by the mess.
This week though I should be able to at least attack it a little bit and get some of it done. I really need to get the shelves I need out there put up on the walls so I can get a bunch of stuff out from under foot.
The problem though is that my back has been killing me the last two days - mostly caused by the fact I have too big a gut. *ahem*
So that’s slowing me down quite a bit. I think I can overcome the inertia but sometimes it’s tough. I’m trying to cut down on the Advil as well. I don’t take it all that often but due to my weight it takes a certain amount before it has the desired effect. And that I have to be extra careful about.
In other news we’re going totally dedicated DSL this month and losing our home line. We don’t really use it and the incomings are mostly spammy robocalls so no great loss there. But it also means a savings of $85/month so that’s a good thing. And it will be significant after the end of February when we should be able to get our PMI removed finally.
Now...the creative front. I’m temporarily stalled on the writing front due to the lack of my writing space. I’m going to try and rectify that this week. I do have the start of a device invented by my adopted Torn World character so hopefully I can get that finished this week as well.
I counted them up and I have actually have four different writing things in progress. In no particular order:
The Unlicensed - up to chapter 5.
Dawson’s Christian - up to chapter 2.
Asleep - my Torn World story featuring Oranaan.
Minor Devotions - the webcomic script that I’ve been compiling for years until I can either find an artist or learn to draw people myself.
*whew!* I really need to get hustling on all those.
I’m actually managing to get through a beginning C programming book. The stuff is making far more sense than years ago when I first tried to learn it. This is a good thing as I can always use more computer skills and programming my own personal apps has always been something I’ve wanted for a long time. Now if I could only manage to fix my math...
Noodling about I’ve decided that I want to try and create some seebeck effect lanterns and maybe some other seebeck effect powered things. People have already done things like this but there are things I want to try first. And I have all the things I need to do those projects in both materials and equipment/tools. Which is good because I can’t afford to buy a damn thing.
Finally....the weather has been annoying. First soggy and melting then cold and windy. Thankfully I managed to get one thing done and opened the valve on the rain barrel that I couldn’t do before when it was full and frozen. It emptied quite nicely.
And to top it all off the icemaker has decided to stop producing ice all together. Bummer since I can’t afford to get it looked at right now. My fault - should have done that before when we had money. I think I might try something I heard many years ago and put a bowl of hot water underneath it and see if that thaws anything loose. See if that helps.
I can’t wait for spring. I did figure out something else I did wrong with the herbs in the house. When I put them in the pots I put them in pots that didn’t have any drainage or anywhere for the water to evaporate out of. So I’m probably going to put a little riser ”seat“ in the bottom of the square pots before putting dirt in them and re-planting the herb seeds.
All this of course depends on organizing and cleaning up the garage workshop...
So I better get to it then.