Not sure what’s going on but my old Pismo PowerBook is giving me fits. Lockups, not waking up from sleep, not allowing a login from wakeup after sleep. I’d hate to have to get a new one but it might be inevitable.
If Dave decides he doesn’t want too much for his 17“ PowerBook I might buy that. It’s got internal IDE problems but I might be able to overcome those. At the very worst I can eventually get the internals replaced on it. It works fine with the USB/Firewire powered hard drive. Have to find out what he wants for it.
I don’t like the idea of having to replace her but I probably don’t have any choice. I could buy another one just like her for $250 or so but that also won’t completely solve the problem. *sigh* I think in this case I might have to do the same thing I did with my truck. Buy a newer but used model and pay out some serious cash. My wife is not going to be happy about that because it means paying a lot more for a replacement than I paid for her notebook.
That might be the solution right there though. Buy the $250 direct replacement for this model and transfer the ram, hard drive, and airport card. If the problem follows any of those then I know that the problem is parts and not the system itself.
If that truly is the case then I can not only get replacement parts but I can get replacement parts for both and sell one on E-Bay to re-coup my costs. Not a bad plan. Not exactly what I’d like to do - I could really use the extra screen real-estate that the 17” would give me - but it’s what I might be able to afford to do now.
Still the 17“ would be a serious upgrade for me. It would last me for quite some time. (This train of thought sounds oddly familiar - like it was the same train of thought that I had when buying my truck.)
If I take out $1400 from the Credit Union account it will be replaced in two months. That’s a lot faster than in the past. And if I’m using the new PowerBook during that time I will be much better off than now.
More thought on this is required...